header

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Recipe: Sweet Heat Mexican Cornbread Casserole

I've seen a lot of recipes for Mexican Cornbread Casserole, and I liked a few things from each of them...so I decided to create my own recipe.

 Sweet Heat Mexican Cornbread Casserole 

Servings: 6-8 
Prep: 30-40 minutes 
Cook: 15 - 20 minutes 

2 boxes Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tbsp honey
1 can cream corn
1 - 2 jalapenos, seeded & diced
1.5 - 2 lbs ground beef
1 small sweet onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can Rotel
2 ears of sweet corn, cooked & kernels cut off the cob
15 oz can of dark red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
8 oz package of shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided

In a large pan, brown meat with onion. Drain excess fat & add taco seasoning package. Add the green pepper and cook until tender. Add Rotel, beans & corn from the cobs. Stir well and simmer.
Combine both corn muffin mixes with the eggs and milk, just until moistened. Add the honey, creamed corn, and jalapenos; stir well, but don't over mix.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13" pan. Spoon some of the cornbread mix (about 1/3) on bottom of pan and wiggle pan to spread batter evenly. Gently top with half of the meat mixture, then add a layer of half the cheese. Spoon the rest of the meat mixture on top and then top with the rest of the cornbread mixture.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown. Top with more cheese before serving.


*I make the meat mixture during nap time and stick in the fridge until I'm ready to assemble the casserole. I reheat it on the stove prior to assembling, and add a little salsa to 'freshen' it up. Then it's really easy to get in the oven so dinner is ready right when my husband gets home.*

1 comment:

  1. David just asked me what I wanted for dinner and I said immediately got on the computer. He thought I was ignoring him, but instead I was pulling up this recipe! He's at the store right now getting ingredients. Can't wait to try it! (I'll let you know how it came out meatless, since we'll be making a meatless portion for me).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Have a great day!