header

Friday, April 17, 2015

Paleo ABBC muffins

Have you heard of ABC bread (or muffins?)
I first saw a recipe for it from my bradley birth instructor 4.5 years ago when she was giving us suggestions on how to increase protein content (including through whole grains). I don't think I ever made that recipe but during our clean eating years I was a big fan of veggie muffins (see recipe on this blog and also this one on another blog that I cleaned up for us). Now that we are pretty paleo (like 90%), my favorite muffin had been one made with coconut flour, a ton of eggs, bananas, and dark chocolate chips.
Craving muffins this morning, but only having one banana.... I revisited this ABC bread idea. But added blueberries in as well for some sweetness and also because  had G was asking to make 'wheat berry muffins' as seen in a library book this week, Little Red Riding Hood - A Newfangled Prairie Tale by Lisa Campbell Ernst.


Paleo ABBC Muffins

makes 12, takes about 30 minutes total

  • 1 ripe banana
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • dash vanilla
  • .25 tsp baking soda
  • .5 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/3 coconut oil, in between soft and melted (feel free to try another fat of your choice)
  • dash salt
  • 1 large carrot (or 2 smaller ones), grated
  • 1 apple, grated (I cored mine but left the peel on)
  • 3/4 - 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • I did not use any added sweetners, but you're welcome to add some honey or maple or etc if you want them sweeter and don't mind adding them
Place ingredients EXCEPT the blueberries (I added the carrot and apple to mince them even smaller, but you can choose to add them in afterwards with the blueberries) in a mixing bowl and use immersion blender to mix ingredients well. Gently stir in blueberries. Divide between muffins cups (I use silicon ones and they didn't need any extra greasing). Bake at 400 degree for about 20 minutes, keep an eye on them in your own oven though.

They were a big hit over here, so enjoy and feel free to sub in and out ingredients as you like.

note; if you don't have an immersion blender. I recomend using a blender to get the base batter mixed and then you can stir in apple, carrots, and blueberries seperately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! Have a great day!