header

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Recipe: Hearty stuffed peppers!


I made these tonight, adapting the recipe in my cookbook, as I went along, and they turned out SO delicious! Definitely the best stuffed peppers I've ever had. The filling reminds me of chili, so they are perfect for a breezy spring evening like we had. I was worried we wouldn't be satisfied with just one, but the rice dish I served them with was just the addition needed to round out the meal. Check out my adapted recipe below!


Stuffed Green Peppers
adapted from Favorite Brand Name Recipes, Best Loved Recipes

4 large organic green bell peppers
1 lb ground beef (or turkey or sausage)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can drained dark red kidney beans
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1/4 c water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
chili powder to taste (start with 1/2 tsp)
garlic power to taste
shredded gouda cheese for topping (or cheddar or provolone)

Slice off the tops of the peppers and remove stem/seeds. Cook for 5 minutes, uncovered, in salted water that covers the peppers. Drain & put the peppers in a baking dish (9x9 works).

Brown the meat, add onion. Drain. Add beans, tomato paste, water and seasonings. Mix well & heat throughout. Divide the filling between the 4 peppers in the baking dish. Top each pepper with shredded cheese. Put in enough water to cover the bottom of the dish.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes--or until tender.
I cut mine into a fancy flower :-)

Serve with rice. I used a Spanish flavor Rice/Vermicelli boxed mix with added tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment! Have a great day!