Mothers ask yourself these questions:
- How do I feel about my own body?
- Do I make negative comments about my body or the bodies of other women?
- Am I often on a diet, over-exercising, or obsessing about my weight?
- Do I hide my body from my family and friends?
- Am I critical about my child's body?
- Do I make negative comments about my child's weight or eating habits?
- Have I ever restricted my child's food intake for fear that she would get fat?
- Have I focused more attention on my daughter's weight than my son's?
taken from University of Florida Extension
Please reflect on the above questions & take action NOW if you find that you may be negatively influencing your kids' thoughts on body image. There are lots of resources out there, including books, websites, and educational articles.
A few resources to get you started:
Pierson, S., & Cohen, P. (2003). You have to say I'm pretty, you're my mother: How to help your daughter learn to love her body and herself. StateplaceNew York: Simon & Schuster.