header

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Rationing Cloth Diapers

What does your cloth diaper stash look like? How would you describe you diapering style?

"Diaper Central"
My stash is more prefolds, with a growing number of pocket diapers. I have a few fitteds. I'd describe it as slowly growing. My cloth diapering style is "easy as possible." I don't want to mess around on the changing table, so I do as much work ahead of time as possible (stuffing, prepping, organizing). I want G's diapers to be as much like disposables as possible--in terms of easy to use.

Now think about your favorite diapers, you know, the ones you wish you had more of--but your budget just won't allow it--how particular are you about when those get used?

our pockets
missing only my black SmartiPants
Unfortunately, prefolds are way cheaper than pockets. So, I have more prefolds, which are not as easy to use. Prefolds aren't good night or nap time options for us, and they don't contain poop very well--unless I use a snappi, which isn't often because they aren't "easy." So when I know G will be sleeping, or possibly pooping, I use a pocket diaper. Like many things, not all pocket diapers are created equally. Some keep G drier than others, and some are better fits. Some stuff well and are still trim...while others stuff super huge and nothing really fits over them. In our house, I have certain pocket diapers that are night time approved and others that are only nap time approved. Yes, I may be crazy!

I call it "Diaper Rationing," and it's a daily occurrence in my household.

G takes 2 naps a day (one diaper a piece) and goes through one-maybe two-diapers at night. IF we go to the gym, I'll put a pocket diaper on her then, too. So I need at least 5 pocket diapers set aside each day. I have ten pocket diapers currently in rotation. Simple math tells you that I have just enough, maybe.

I'm going to miss sunning our dipes
I do laundry every other day, and sometimes diapers aren't dry in time and I'm scrounging around trying to figure out what to do. You can be sure laundry gets done in the afternoon if my night time diapers are MIA. I'll use my new Mother-ease fitted for naps and sometimes night time, so that helps fill the gaps now. I'll put G in a disposable (Huggies Pure & Natural) for naps before I'll use a prefold.

I have many different types of diapers in our stash, and they all have a purpose...but I sure would like it if I had enough of my 'favorites' so that the world didn't come crashing down when the diaper I want to use is dirty or drying!


Our ideal diaper "schedule" for now:

Day 1
Night Diaper: SmartiPants stuffed with microfiber, Thirsties Hemp Duo (or Hemp Babies) and Thirsties Hemp Insert
Reserve second night diaper: Microfiber and hemp stuffed pocket diaper
First Morning Diaper: Fitted to protect for any extra morning poop
Second Morning Diaper: prefold
Nap time diaper (or gym diaper, depending on the day): Fuzzibunz or OhKaty stuffed with microfiber and doubler
diapers between naps: prefolds
Nap time diaper: Fuzzibunz, Kawaii Baby, or Tots Bots stuffed with microfiber and doubler
diapers until bed time: prefolds

Day 2
Night Diaper: My new bumGenius 4.0 style Kawaii Baby stuffed with microfiber, Thirsties Hemp Duo, &  Thirsties Hemp Insert
Reserve second night diaper: Microfiber and hemp stuffed pocket diaper
First Morning Diaper: Fitted to protect for any extra morning poop
Second Morning Diaper: prefold
Nap time diaper (or gym diaper, depending on the day): Fuzzibunz or OhKaty stuffed with microfiber and doubler
diapers between naps: prefolds
Nap time diaper: Fuzzibunz, Kawaii Baby, or Tots Bots stuffed with microfiber and doubler
diapers until bed time: prefolds

7 comments:

  1. I need to be more intentional about my rationing. We are building our stash and I have a tendency to not plan ahead and then end up stuck with nothing clean and have to use disposables. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We definitely do our version of diaper rationing. Thankfully all of our diapers are pockets, but I will only put our daughter in BG 4.0s for naps/night time. So I find myself making sure I use our Rumparooz, Fuzzibunz, and Lovely Pocket diapers when I know she won't be sleeping at all because those always leak. And then we definitely have to make sure we do laundry every other day so we don't run out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do too. I always make sure to have BGs for nighttime or long day trips. And there are some dipes I only use around the house. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not all pockets are expensive! FB, BG, Oh Katy, etc. are all super expensive pockets in my opinion. Kawaiis are not nearly as expensive. Maybe instead of buying one BG or FB, you could invest in 2 Kawaii. I recently reviewed a newish brand, Rump Arounds. They're similar to Kawaii, but slightly different. My "test subject" is 16 months old, so that DOES affect the wear time, but he was able to wear it from 8:30am until 3pm and the insert STILL wasn't but 2/3 full. The liner was still dry. :-) I urge you to read my review and possibly invest some $$ into a couple of them. If you email Jennifer, one of the owners, she might be willing to let you review one on here! I am reviewing one of their new CDLC diapers that come out at the end of November. Anyway...here's the link to the review I wrote...http://angelasfavthings.blogspot.com/2011/10/rump-arounds-cloth-diaper-review.html. I hope it helps!

    xo,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your post about cloth diapers. We strictly use Fuzzi Bunz with our daughter and love them. Hoping to be done soon with diapers as she starts potty training but will miss them too as she looks so darn cute in them. Signed up to follow you with GFC..check out my blog and follow please..

    http://mischeviousmonkeys.blogspot.com/

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post!It’s basically a conglomeration of bloggers who just can’t get enough of cloth diapering. I’ll admit, it is pretty addictive. I didn’t start cloth diapering my first son until he was about 3 months old, and I hadn’t planned to cloth diaper my second son until he was out of the super-fresh newborn stage. I didn’t have small enough diapers, or so I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your cloth diaper "set up". We don't have a traditional changing table, ours is a foldable one from Ikea, so it only has one self on the bottom that can fit two containers and looking at yours I really wish I had all that extra room!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Have a great day!